Senior Consultant Energy & Carbon Management
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world. Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for an Energy & Carbon Management Senior Consultant to join our sustainability team.
Within a collaborative and supportive team of consultants, you will be responsible for helping to win and deliver projects (mainly with clients in the private sector) on net zero, and energy and carbon management strategies. The role will include client liaison, project management and technical delivery and will be required from initial client engagement through to provision of final reports. The successful candidate will:
- Be capable of taking over, managing and delivering existing energy and carbon management projects, as well as writing proposals for new work.
- Be the client lead for key projects, demonstrating experience of working face-to-face with clients and managing their expectations.
- Undertake a project management role, controlling budgets and timings, and allocating tasks to colleagues as required.
- Liaise with specialist sub-contractors and build relationships internally and externally.
- Input technical expertise to energy and carbon management bids and projects.
- Ensure appropriate profile raising and marketing of Ricardo’s services and capabilities.
Ricardo operates a parallel ‘team leader’ system for pastoral staff management, meaning that you will not initially have any direct line management responsibilities. However, if such line management is of interest to you, we can help you to demonstrate and develop that capability.
Key competencies and experience
- Have practical career experience and be able to demonstrate relevant technical capability, effective project management and excellent communication skills.
- Have a higher education qualification (Bachelor’s Degree) in an environmental discipline, or otherwise to have a good track record working in an environmental role, so that you can demonstrate your knowledge.
- Have experience of working in the consultancy sector ideally, to demonstrate that you have the necessary commercial awareness, but we are also interested to talk to candidates currently performing environmental roles directly within industry.
- Demonstrate technical expertise across several of the following technical areas:
- Energy and carbon management planning and strategy
- Net Zero strategy development
- Scope 3
- Carbon footprinting and verification
- Energy data analysis
- Energy auditing and identification of energy saving and decarbonisation measures
- Knowledge of technical areas such as energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport, carbon sequestration and offsetting
- Knowledge of building energy performance / industrial processes
- Regulatory compliance, knowledge of both current and future environmental and energy related legislation
- Have demonstrated experience of working face-to-face with clients and managing their expectations.
- Experience of identifying and developing business opportunities is desirable.
Skills and behaviours
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement solutions.
- Excellent writing skills to communicate clearly and without errors – accuracy and attention to detail are vital.
- Strong client and stakeholder communication skills (e.g. influencing, negotiation, presentation and relationship management skills).
- Project management skills that demonstrate ability to manage and account for time spent, and to deliver work on time and budget.
- Team working and ability to coordinate and prioritise activities to ensure delivery of agreed targets.
- Ability to work autonomously and pro-actively.
- High level of computer literacy, including familiarity with the full Microsoft Office software suite.
- A flexible approach – able to see where help is needed and support colleagues as necessary.
- Be comfortable juggling a variety of tasks in a sometimes fast-paced operational environment.
You will be warmly welcomed into our workplace where every voice matters. We are diverse thinkers and doers, coming together to create a culture of inclusion. We will support you to find your place.
We will encourage you to use your passion and expertise to make a positive impact through the projects you work on. Your knowledge and desire to bring about change will be invaluable in helping deliver innovative solutions that support communities across the globe in becoming safer and more sustainable.
Work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that is working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We’re happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential.
Our core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.