About the job:
Responsible for the detailed design and function of the Stack Assembly
The Fuel Cell Stack Engineer is the responsible for the detailed design of the fuel cell stack assembly, interfaces with balance of plant, and various customer platforms/commercial products.
Task, roles or responsibilities:
- Working with the product engineers, the candidate is responsible to ensure that all customer requirements are met in the design of new fuel cell stacks.
- Working with the field service engineers, the candidate is responsible to ensure that all customer requirements are met for commercial fuel cell stacks in terms of performance, reliability, durability, and cost.
- Working with other members of the Stack Development Team, the candidate will be responsible to understand and direct the design of all elements for the fuel cell stack assembly.
- Support development of testing methodologies to validate the design against the customer requirements.
- Provide field support during product launches and throughout the life of the products as required to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Keep up to date on state-of-the-art plate design from patents and competitors’ landscape.
- Drive the stack development team towards continuous improvement and cost reduction/DFMA activities.
- Interface with stack team engineers, systems engineering, engine engineering, quality, manufacturing and purchasing teams.
- Manage product cycles from concept to market launch, including testing and post-launch support.
- Support prototype builds and tear down analysis of test or field units.
- Perform system validation and verification.
- Design and qualification of an optimized fuel cell stack.
Knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) required to be effective in this position:
- Problem solving – ability to critically evaluate designs for best outcomes towards progress.
- Communication – keep all stakeholders aware of changes, discusses design with suppliers to receive their feedback for best manufacturing methods.
- Design, analytical and troubleshooting capabilities – identify and mitigate key risks with design.
- Teamwork – collaborates with team to ensure all needs are met.
- Good Time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with Field issues and adept at addressing customer’s needs.
Innovation – ability to apply knowledge and experience to bring innovative new approaches to stack compression and design
Strong verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering.
- 10-15 years of experience in product design.
- 10 years of experience in a Fuel Cell environment, specifically in stack or system design.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of manufacturing methods (plates, seals, MEAs, assembly, etc.)
- Strong understanding of fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer.
- Understanding of fuel cell electrochemical reactions.
- Understanding of design verification and validation, ability to incorporate learnings in future designs.
- Ability to bring products from prototype level to a high-volume design.
- Product development skills: DFMEA, DFMA, tolerance analysis, GD&T.
- 3D CAD design experience (Solidworks preferred).
- Unit Cell Specific FEA/CFD experience (Comsol/Ansys/Matlab).
- VA/VE experience an asset.
- Application of structured problem-solving methods (8D, 5-whys).
- Pro-active; ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work and multi-task in a highly technical, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
How to apply?
Send your CV to email@example.com